eSense Skin Response
Philips™ Hue™ FAQ
Which products from Philips Hue can I use with the eSense app?
In general, all Philips Hue products are compatible with our eSense App and therefore can be used together with the eSense. We tested the most common products:
- Philips Hue White
- Philips Hue White Ambiance
- Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance
- Philips Hue Go (very nice!)
- Philips Hue LightStrips White and Color Ambiance
For the best experience, we recommend the Philips Hue White and Color Ambience, because with the colors, the feedback can be enhanced more than with only white colors. Especially we recommend using the Philips Hue Go, as it is mobile with battery and a very nice, complete lamp.
How do I connect to the Philips Hue?
You connect to the Philips Hue products from inside the eSense app. As usual with the Philips Hue products, you need to connect to the Philips Bridge first and then you can choose the individual bulbs.
To connect to the Philips Hue products, open the eSense app and follow these steps:
- Choose the eSense sensor you want to use
- Choose the ‘settings’ (cogwheel symbol)
- Enable the ‘Smart bulb feedback’ and choose ‘Philips Hue’ as the bulb type
- Tab on the ‘Change Hue settings’ button
- Choose the ‘Find Hue Bridge’ tab in the upper right and then choose the plus icon in the lower right. Follow the instructions.
- Next you can choose the lamp(s) under ‘Hue lamps’ in the upper left. You see a list of available lamps and you can choose each with the tick right next to it. Selected lamps light up, deselected turn off.
- (You can also test the chosen bulb by tapping on the ‘Test’ button. If the color of the bulb changes by this, the bulb is connected)
- When you have chosen the bridge and the lamp(s), you can leave the menu by tapping on the tick in the upper right corner. The settings are now saved.
How many Philips Hue bulbs/products can I use with the eSense app?
We have successfully tested up to 9 products/bulbs (mixture of different type of bulbs, Hue Go and LightStripe). However, from 3 products and more the reaction time of the products/bulbs slows down significantly (Philips enables a maximum transfer speed of 100ms per signal and per bulb).
Especially if you use several bulbs, a short distance to the Philips Bridge, the bulbs and your smartphone or tablet becomes more relevant. See also the next question about this.
How far can the Philips Hue, the Hue Bridge and the smartphone or tablet be away?
Usually the range is between 30 and 100 meter, depending on the environment. The range is less with objects in between (for example a wall in between can decrease the range). Also, if the Hue Bridge and your modem should be in another floor level, it can influence the range.
However, the transmission of the signal by Philips is good enough so that there weren’t any problems with our tests in normal households with the signal. Just from 4 (and more) bulbs at the same time a recognizable lag can occur, see also the question above about this. A warning will be displayed in the app if you want to use more than 3 lamps at the same time.
Where can I buy the Philips Hue products?
You should be able to find the Phillips Hue in every well-sorted electronic store. You can also order it online. A list of the on- and offline-merchants can be also found on the page of the Philips Hue: https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us
We suggest one of the starter kits from Philips for the use with the eSense. This also contains a colored bulb (‘White and Color Ambience’): https://amzn.to/3uzSFx8